Portuguese for cod, this bacalao is a rich tomato-based white fish stew
Serves 4, takes an hour
Here’s a downloadable PDF recipe card for printing.
1. Put a large saucepan of salted water on to boil. Slice the potatoes into thin circles. Boil until tender.
2. Meanwhile, slice the onion into thin circles. Chop the chilli and garlic together finely.
3. In another wide saucepan or deep frying pan, heat some oil on a medium heat and fry the onion. After a few minutes, add the chilli and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes more.
4. Add the tomato puree to the same pot and mix together. Then add the chopped tomatoes.
5. Cut the fish fillets into chunks. Season with salt and pepper, then carefully add to the stew and sink them into it without stirring.
6. Bring this to a simmer, cover with a lid and leave for about 20 mins. Check the potatoes which should now be cooked. Drain them and set them aside.
7. After 20 mins, add the potatoes to the stew. Mix together carefully without stirring too much. Serve!
Love Food Hate Waste
Keep Scotland Beautiful
BBC Good Food