A classic, hearty beef stew
Serves 4, takes up to 90 mins
Here’s a downloadable PDF recipe card for printing.
1. Chop the leek, carrot, potatoes, swede, and onion.
2. Heat some oil or butter in a large pot on a high heat. In small batches, fry the meat for a couple of minutes until brown. Set aside each batch until you’re done, then reduce to medium heat.
3. Add all of the meat back into the pan and add the onion, frying it all for few more minutes.
4. Add the water to the pot (quicker if it’s boiled in the kettle in advance) and add the stock cubes. Bring to the boil before reducing the heat and letting it simmer for half an hour.
5. After half an hour, add the rest of the veg to the pot. Stir together and add some salt and simmer until the veg is tender. Season to your taste, then serve.
Love Food Hate Waste
Keep Scotland Beautiful
BBC Good Food