1. Rinse the lentils. If you don’t have a sieve, you can just do this in a bowl or in a pan because they sink – so pour the water out, using your hand or a lid to keep the lentils in. Do this a couple of times.
2. Dice two carrots quite finely, and dice one of the onions (leaving one whole and rinsing it under the tap). Grate the last carrot.
3. Add a little oil/butter to a saucepan and fry the bacon for a few minutes. Then add the diced carrot and diced onion. Stir together and fry for 5 mins.
4. Add the water, stock cubes, lentils and the whole onion to the pot. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for approx. 20 mins.
5. Add the grated carrot and cook for a further 10 mins. Taste it, season if you wish, and serve.